SQLXPress is a Windows based browser-like interface to NonStop SQL running on HPE Nonstop Servers.
Both SQL/MX and SQL/MP are supported.
Click here to download SQLXPress
SQLXPress supports comprehensive database management facilities for installations with NonStop SQL databases, using SQL/MX tables, SQL/MP tables, or both.
Here are some examples:
More complex tasks like splitting a partition, creating a table, or creating a new database are supported by a powerful set
of wizards. These wizards do much more than simply generate SQL statements. For example: the split
partition wizard can calculate the key value required to make the split at a specified percentage of the records.
- browse SQL database definitions
- create, alter, and drop SQL objects
- view SQL object properties
- browse object dependencies
- update statistics
- copy statistics
- backup / restore statistics
- duplicate SQL tables and related objects
- manage table and index partitions
Some functions (for example, populating an index, or splitting a partition) may take a long time to perform. SQLXPress performs
these as background tasks, that can be scheduled for execution by NetBatch, or the built-in job scheduling tool.
It is often convenient to browse SQL tables, and to insert, update, delete, show DDL, compare data, compare SQL definitions, especially in a development or testing environment. This is easily accomplished using SQLXPress.
Visual Query Builder
The Visual Query Builder lets you quickly create NonStop SQL queries using familiar graphical operations such as drag and drop.
You don't need to type long and complicated commands, or even remember column names - creating even the
most complex of queries requires only a few keystrokes or mouse clicks.
Once a query has been built, it can be saved for use at a later time. Queries are stored in a NonStop SQL database.
Each query has a security string which specifies which users can view, alter, run, and delete the query.
The Visual Query Builder supports run time parameters. Each time the query is run, the user is prompted to
supply a value for each parameter in the query. Parameters are usually used in search conditions, this allows the user to select
a different set of rows each time the query is run.
A number of SQL metadata reports are included.
Execution Plan Management
SQLXPress maintains a database of execution plan snapshots.
The database contains current as well as historical plan information.
Execution plans can be added to the database for:
The user can query the execution plans database to quickly identify problem plans.
The Compare Plans report highlights differences between plan snapshots.
The Visual Query Tuner allows you to enter a query, and display its execution plan.
- Static SQL statements in C / C++ / COBOL programs.
- Dynamic SQL statements executed via the MXCS subsystem (OBDC / JDBC queries).
- SQL statements stored in an MXCS Module File Cache (MFC) location.
- Dynamic SQL queries constructed using the Visual Query Builder.
- Dynamic SQL queries via the Query Planner.
The Query Advisor analyzes queries stored in the execution plans database and generates recommendations for improving query performance.
The user can assign a version label to plans in the execution plans database. For example, this allows the user to assign an application version number to the set of execution plans for that version.
An execution plans database query facility allows the user to generate and run queries against the execution plans database.
The user can select plans based on a wide set of selection criteria, for example:
- Plans for a specific application version.
- Plans with a cost greater than a specific value.
- Plans containing a specific SQL operator.
- Plans using a specific type of join.
- Plans using a specific lock mode or access mode.
- Plans that access a specific table.
These conditions can be combined in various ways to narrow down the query results to the plans of interest.
Once the query has been run, the user can easily view the execution plans for any statement returned by the query.
Visual Query Tuner
The Visual Query Tuner is a program that is designed to help you improve the performance of NonStop SQL queries. It supports both NonStop SQL/MX and SQL/MP.
It allows you to easily perform tuning experiments and measure the effects on query performance.
The following features are supported:
- Query snapshots that keep track of your tuning experiments.
- Intuitive execution plan diagrams.
- Execution statistics that capture query performance characteristics.
- Performance charts compare performance of query snapshots.
- Run time paramaters.
- MX and MP control statements.
- Auto-tuner provides suggestions for improving performance.
- View access paths for tables in the query.
- View DDL for tables in the query.
- View statistics for tables in the query.
- Perform update statistics.
- Create or drop indexes.
Module Management and Reports
SQLXPress keeps a database of relationships between programs and modules. You can browse these relationships online, or produce various reports.
SQLXPress can generate DDL statements for SQL objects such as tables, views, or stored procedures.
The generated DDL can be used to re-create SQL objects. You can also use a name mapping option to create
a new set of SQL objects based on the definition of existing objects, in effect a "clone schema" operation.
MXCS Subsystem Management
SQLXPress offers complete support for the configuration and monitoring of the MXCS subsystem.
- Monitor the status of services, servers, and datasources.
- Create and destroy MXCS services.
- Start and stop services and datasources.
- Display the configuration of services and datasources.
- Add, alter, and delete datasources.
- Add, alter, and delete users.
- Enable / disable statistics collection for a datasource.
- Extract MXCS session and SQL statistics from EMS.
- Display and print MXCS statistics.
- Save MXCS statistics to an Excel spreadsheet, or a PDF file.
NonStop Server Performance Monitoring
SQLXPress supports performance monitoring fucntions that help you identify SQL queries with resource consumption problems.
- Monitor busiest SQL prcesses - identifies processes running resource-intentive queries.
- Monitor SQL query resource usage by a process - shows the queries executed by a process
(including the query text), and the system resources they use.
- CPU resource monitoring, including CPU busy, memory usage, page faults, and dispatches.
- Disk resource monitoring, including physical IO rate, logical IO rate, cache hit rate, and free space.
- Disk space usage by an MX schema, or an MP catalog, a table, or an index, grouped by disk volume.
- TMF transaction rate, and audit trail capacity.
- Ability to suspend or terminate a busy SQL process - allows the user to kill runaway SQL queries.
Advanced SQL Scripting Language
SQLXPresss includes MSL, an advanced SQL scripting language.
MSL scripts can be run from directly from TACL, or via NetBatch. Explicit SQL compilation is not required.
- Embedded SQL.
- MXCI and SQLCI commands.
- Host variables.
- Assignment statements.
- Program control statements like IF - THEN - ELSE, FOR, WHILE and so on.
- Procedures and functions.
User Activity Auditing
SQLXPress can be configured to audit the activities of its users. Both online and batch processing activities can be audited.
Audited activities include logon, logoff, SQL statement execution, scripted MXCI commands, SQLCI commands, program launches etc.
The comprehensive reporting facilitiy provides numerous summary and detailed reports.
The Security Manager Windows-based GUI allows the security administrrator to configure the audit subsystem and run audit reports.
Role Based Access Control
SQLXPress can be configured to restrict the activities of its users. Both online and batch processing activities can be restricted.
Only authorized users can perfom specified activities.
Only authorized users can view and operate on specified SQL databases.
The Security Manager Windows-based GUI allows the security administrrator to configure the access control subsystem.
SQLXPress can generate scripts to perform SQL operations in batch mode. This is most useful for long-running,
or resource intensive operations that must be performed during off-peak times. The scripts can be scheduled for execution using NetBatch or a similar job scheduling tool.
International Character Set Support
SQLXPresss includes support for :
- Western character sets, including ISO8859-1 to ISO8859-16 and Windows code pages 1250 to 1257.
- East Asian character sets, including Windows code pages 932 (Japanese), 936 (Simplified Chinese), 949 (Korean), and 950 (Traditional Chinese).
- Unicode (UCS2, UTF-16, UTF-8)
- Character set mapping. For example if a column is declared to SQL
as ISO8859-1, you can instruct SQLXPress to interpret the data as
ISO8859-15, or Win 1252, or even as Shift-JIS.
Comprehensive Online Help
SQLXPress includes an integrated help system that contains task oriented descriptions in addition to descriptions of each product feature.
XPressEdit is a windows based text editor designed to work with NonStop Servers.
- Support for Guardian files, OSS files and PC files
- Multi file editing
- Syncronized file editing
- Multiple character set encodings including Unicode (UTF-8, UTF-16BE, UTF-16LE),
ASCII, Western (ISO and Windows), and East Asian (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean).
- Color coded syntax highlighting for numerous languages including:
- NonStop SQL (both MX and MP)
- The Merlon Scripting Language (MSL)
- C / C++ (with embedded SQL)
- Cobol (with embedded SQL)
- Code completion for NonStop SQL including table name lookup, column name lookup and function name lookup
- Code completetion for MSL
- Support for embedded SQL in MSL, C and Cobol
- Text Folding
- Code Templates
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts
- Search and Replace
XPressView is a windows based program that allows users to to browse (but not change) data stored on the NonStop SQL database. Both SQL/MX and SQL/MP tables are supported.
With XPressView the user can:
- Browse the data in tables, views and queries developed using the SQLXPress visual query builder.
- Open more than one data source at a time.
- Filter rows so that only rows that match a specified contion are displayed
Import / Export
SQLXPress supports moving data between NonStop SQL and other databases and files, including:
To use the Import / Export wizard to other databases you must have an OLE DB data provider installed on your PC of which there are many available.
- Import from a Comma Seperated Values (CSV) file.
- Import from an XML file (using a DTD or XSD schema).
- Import from an external database (for example Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, IBM DB2, or MS Access).
- Export from an SQL/MP table to an SQL/MX table.
- Export from an SQL/MX table to an SQL/MP table.
- Export to a Comma Seperated Values file.
- Export to an XML file.
- Export to an external database.
A TCP/IP connection to an HPE NonStop server.
Nonstop SQL/MX (3.0 or later)
NonStop SQL/MP (350 or later) for Nonstop SQL/MP table support.